Almost everyone knows that dogs are not supposed to have chocolate, but not a lot of people know exactly why. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs in amounts of around 100-150 mg/kg.
Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker’s chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems. Depending on on size of your dog how much and what type of chocolate was consumed, you can possibly just expect diarrhea in some cases, but other cases may require immediate medical attention.
So what does all this mean? Well basically it still means don’t let your dogs have chocolate, and still consult with your vet if your dog has consumed chocolate. But at the same time, be aware of what type of chocolate and how much was consumed by your dog; these two factors will give you and your vet valuable information.
If you enjoyed this entry, don’t forget to subscribe to our dog training blog. You will be automatically notified as soon a new entry is made. Also be sure to check out our Facebook Fan Page and follow us on Twitter.