07 Jan Does the Location of Your Dog’s Crate Matter?
The short answer to that question is “yes!”
Now exactly where to put your dog’s crate is open for a bit of debate, and you may get varying answers depending on who you ask. The type of crate and a suggested location for a crate may differ based on the needs of a particular dog, but here are some general guidelines that may help you and your family decide where to crate your dog.
- Make sure the crate is in a climate controlled area of your home and avoid areas that get direct sunlight throughout the day
- I personally don’t like my dogs to be crated in my bedroom, they need to learn to exist away from us and have a sense of independence
- If you are still working on potty training, have your crate near the door to help prevent accidents
- If you have a young puppy, consider putting your crate in a well populated area of your home
- Avoid locations where the dog can see outside of the home and practice unwanted behaviors like window barking